You may think depriving your body of carbohydrates will prevent you from being able to exercise, but the keto diet is actually incredibly popular with endurance athletes. I reformulated a power bite recipe that I’ve been using for years to pump up the fat and reduce the carbohydrates. It’s a little bit higher in carbohydrates than strict keto diet adherents allow for, but if you stick to the keto guidelines the rest of the day, these bites are a great fit for a quick energy boost, pre- or post-workout.
Nutrition information: Per bite, 5 grams of carbohydrates, 3.85 grams of protein, 10.5 grams of fat, 2 grams of fiber
KETO POWER BITES
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- In a large bowl, toss together hemp and sesame seeds. Add the chocolate chips and cinnamon, then mix well.
- In a small bowl, stir the almond butter and coconut butter together. Add to the seed mixture and combine. Cover and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes, until firm.
- Place the shredded coconut in a small bowl. Scoop out about a tablespoon of the mixture and, with clean hands, form it into 1-inch balls. Then roll the balls in the coconut to coat. Transfer each bite to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to four days.